The excellent location, right in the city center, allows you to walk to the most important sights:
During Middle Ages, The Council Square was the place where fairs were being organized for the German, the Romanian and Hungarian merchants. The entrance to the square was through Customs Street (today Muresenilor Street), and next to the street they would check on the merchandise
The Council Hall, situated in the middle of the square, was the place where the merchants had to place their merchandise and the town’s clerks made sure this rule was compiled with.
Close to the Council Square there are The Black Church, The Blacksmiths’ and the Graft Bastions, The White and The Black Towers as well as The Schei Gate and Ecaterina’s Gate.
The Council Square is probably the best known and the most visited place in town. Many cultural and artistic events and outdoor concerts, such as the „Golden Stag” Festival, take place here.
As part of a project founded by the government, an Internet antenna has been installed in the Council Square, providing free wireless access.
From The Kertsch Villa (today The Modarom Shop on the right side of Republicii Street), cars and carriages had to fallow the one way street through The Ferdinand Boulevard in order to get to the Council Square as Republicii Street was a pedestrian zone just like today.
This symbol of Brasov was once known as Gate Street (Strada Portii), the Germans called it Purzengasse while the Hungarians called it Kaputca.
Republicii Street was also known as Bucket Makers’ Street from the guild that used to have its workshops here. For a short while it was called Carol Street and now it is Republicii Street.
Before it became a street, at the end where the gate was situated, they used to burry the horses killed by the plague in 1718-1719 in a makeshift cemetery. In the middle of the street water would flow down from Schei.
After the gate had been demolished, the most beautiful buildings were, besides the Christian Kertsch building, next to the Continental Hotel (with its golden medalions and wooden floors made in Vienna), the luxury villa belonging to Maurer, the bank manager, the two-stores building of the Industrialists’ Society (Gewerbeverein), the house of the town magistrate, the Bachmeyer house, the Gyerthanyfy house where the telegraph office was situated.
Tampa belongs to the Postavaru Massif, located in the South of the Oriental Carpathians (more exactly in the Curvature Carpathians) and it is almost entirely surrounded by the town of Brasov.
The mountain consists mainly of limestone formed as a result of the Earth’s wrinkling process.
Its maximum height is 960 m, almost 400 m above the city. Most of it (150ha) is a natural reservation and has been declared protected area of national interest.
The reason for its being a protected area is that is is home to several species of animals: bears, lynxes, wolves and butterflies – 35% of the total of species living in Romania, birds and rare plants (the brave man’s cross, the „obsiga barsana”) protected all over Europe.
The oldest traces of civilization on Tampa Mountain date back to the dacians. Archeologists have discovered on Tampa a fountain with bones dating back to their times, proof of a pagan cult that had been practiced here.
Many sinister legends have been weaved around the mountain that stands as a symbol of the town.
They say that Tampa was the home of dragons, that it hides catacombs, that under the mountain there are the remains of a sea that could flood the town.